Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Usual Suspects


By Harry McPhaul

          The Usual Suspects is my one of my favorite films I have ever seen.  Of course there are films that almost everyone can pretty much agree are the greatest of all time.  Then there are films each person believes are on par with the classics that may not have as many accolades.  The Usual Suspects I believe is an example of this. 
          I especially liked how it was not just about one long heist.  It more about building up Keyser Söze as a warlord who sacrifices anything to maintain is reputation.  Throughout the whole film they show brief stories of Keyser’s rise to power.  This was one aspect I thoroughly enjoyed.
          The effectiveness of the story was only possible because of the outstanding acting.  Each actor seemed incredibly realistic.  Leading the way was Kevin Spacey who gave an Oscar winning performance.  His character (Roger "Verbal" Kint) was a cripple who received much belittlement.  But I had a feeling he was always telling the truth.  We find out some information about the other members of the gang but never really learn about Kint in as much detail.   
          We do not find out the truth about Verbal until the end.  The ending is the best part of film because it leaves you in shock.  The suspense and the action or lack thereof was what made this film one of my favorites.  As a surprise, I would recommend this film. I would give it a 10/10.  Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment