Sunday, March 10, 2013

Life of Pi

by Tyler Darke

      Well, it took me long enough to see it, but I'm glad that I finally did. I had some hesitations about seeing this movie. Although the previews were beautiful, they did not draw me to it. I thought that a movie about a boy and a tiger stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean could get rather boring, but it didn't. It was much more complex than that. The film had themes of religion, adventure, and maturation that were beautifully developed.

      Although I have not read the book, I am sure this film was a fantastic adaptation of the novel. It took a phenomenal story and brought it to life through vivid colors, stunning effects, and passionate acting.

      The visuals were so beautiful that this film could have been nearly as successful without dialogue. As much as I enjoyed the script, the images spoke for themselves. This was a story to be perceived by the eyes. Seeing Pi's interaction with the tiger, Richard Parker, was an amazing experience that could only happen through film.

      I must give credit to Suraj Sharma for his portrayal of the main character, the young Pi Patel. His performance was commendable, especially for his film debut. In my opinion, he should have been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor.

      I would encourage anyone who loves a good adventure film to see Life of Pi. It is definitely deserving of all the attention and acclaim it has received. 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment