Monday, June 3, 2013

Behind the Candelabra

By Harry McPhaul

          Behind the Candelabra was the story of the relationship between Liberace and his much younger lover Scott Thorsen.  I went into this film knowing very little if anything about Liberace because he was little before my time.  From what I could tell, Michael Douglass’ portrayal of Liberace seemed spot on. 

          Michael Douglass gave the best performance out of the whole cast.  He had Liberace’s mannerism down to every single detail.  From the way he talked to way he played the piano, he was the most believable character.  Also the makeup applied Douglass to make him look more like Liberace was outstanding.   The makeup overall I felt was an underrated aspect. 

          During one part of the film, Matt Damon’s character (Thorsen) is required to have plastic surgery.  Once the surgery was over Damon looked like he actually did have the surgery.  They also showed the surgery being done which was a hard to watch at some times but still interesting.   It just goes to show the amount of detail Soderbergh went to show the price of being one of Liberace’s lovers. 

          I was not eager to see this film because of the story but more because of the actors.  While watching I began to following every detail and felt the emotions being expressed.  As someone who had never really heard of Liberace I was able to still able to feel like I had seen his performance many times.  For readers who do not have HBO it will difficult to watch this film, legally.  But I would still recommend this film.  I would give it a 9/10.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment