Sunday, May 26, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild

by Tyler Darke

      I begin like this often, but this will be a short review. Beasts of the Southern Wild was a film that I had wanted to see since I heard about it gaining attention before the Academy Awards. It took awhile, but I was finally able to catch it on a movie channel and record it.

      Unfortunately, I was not nearly as impressed as my colleagues. We all watched the movie together, and had different reactions. I found the movie to be really slow and boring at times. There were some beautiful scenes that captured my attention, but there were also a lot of very slow parts. The overall story was intriguing and the acting was phenomenal, but I don't think the film was incredibly successful.

      I was extremely impressed by Quvenzhané Wallis, who played Hushpuppy, and I definitely agree with her nomination for Best Actress. She expressed the maturity and discipline of a veteran actress at such a young age. Her ability to capture an audience and lead them through a film at only nine years old is unbelievable. I was also incredibly impressed by Dwight Henry who played Wink, Hushpuppy's father. He deserved a nomination for Best Supporting Actor, and it's unfortunate that he didn't receive it.

      If you're looking for a movie to watch, this isn't a bad choice, but don't expect to be overly impressed with the film. You can look forward to quality acting and a great story that is unfortunately not presented very well. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment